Tiger Line

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tiger Line

Post by swimmers_mate on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:14 pm

Ive heard a few very good reviews of this flourocarbon over the last few weeks and as i am in need of re-spooling the long casts i thought i would give it a go. I had a chat with finchy at bankside and decided to go for the 16lb. Initial thoughts are that it's very springy and wirey, hoperfully this will go after a few sessions. Any of you guys using it? if so did it go onto the spools ok? Any tips on loading will be greatfully received as im not the best and always seem to end up with mega twist Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
swimmers_mate
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

http://www.heroesandvillains.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Tiger Line

Post by Ryan on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Just spooled up with some 16lb but not had a chance to bed it in yet because of the bad weather. First impresions were that it seems very limp for a fluoro. I just put it in a bowl of warm water before I spooled it up

Ryan
BREAM ANGLER
BREAM ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by carpsy04 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:56 am

best advice would be off Keith he been using it for a while now ive been reading all the reviews myself of late looks really good defo looking into buying some this year also,if it does start to twist once on your reels Neil get yourself a spin doctor by gardner...hope this helps fella see you soon when the res is free of ice

Simon Very Happy
carpsy04
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by The Welshman on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Hiya chaps

I've got 6 spools filled with the 16lb tiger line, and have been using it since last April. Compared to other fluros (X-Line, Illusion and the new Korda Contour) it is pretty limp. Having used X Line and Illusion a lot in the past, you'll find that Tiger Line gives you an extra 20 yards on your long casting, due to it's lower diameter and limpness (in comparison). You won't get the distance you'd get out of a mono. The beauty of Tiger Line is that it sinks like a brick. It is REALLY impressive in this sense. You can fish proper slack lines with it, and yet have your bobbins set as you want. It is also - seriously - strong. When me, Dav and Deaks fished Wintons, the bars there were pretty savage, and I did not have one cut off (however, it did get pretty frayed). Having done quite a bit of research before going there, lots of people were suggesting heavy shock leaders/line to cope.

One point which Jim and I found out - DO NOT rub the line on your legs (to get kinks out). Tiger Line does NOT like heat from friction. It snapped and shrivelled up, which was suprising. I'm going to use a Fox Illusion shock leader next season, as you CAN get any kinks out of it, using friction, without worrying about it. You then do not need to fish a leader/leadcore, as 20lb Illusion it .40mm diameter, and shouldn't lift scales.

Spool it up tight by getting someone to help you do it, and as Simon said, get yourself the 2.5 ounce Gardner spin doctor (3) or borrow mine. Once you've spooled up, I go down the Res and cast the rod about 10-15 times, increasing the distance with every cast. Once you've got it tight, put your spin doctor on to the line directly, then repeat the process. I then check the line by underarming it out about 30 yards, putting it on a rest, and seeing if the slack line is as it should be. Repeat until your satisfied the line is hanging limp and straight.

If I've got time at the end of a session, I always clean the tiger line by reeling in through a rag. I've found that flurocarbon seems to pick up sediment more than monos. Clean through a rag. Then re-cast it a couple of times, as the cleaning can impart a bit of twist. All ready for your next session.

The good news is that you've got big pit, large-spooled reels, so twist/memory will be reduced. If you were using it on small reels, you'd probably suffer from springiness more.

It's the best line I've used, and seeing as you fish some day tickets, Neil, where you don't need to cast really far, it'll serve you very well, in terms of it's properties. Very Happy
The Welshman

http://www.cardiffcity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by carpsy04 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:56 pm

wicked wright up Mr Jones
carpsy04
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by swimmers_mate on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:38 pm

Cheers keith, as simon said great little write up there. Im looking forward to totally changing my approach this year as i normally fish fairly tight lines or semi tight with a back lead but im gonna be slacker than a ho's knickers this year Wink Time to get it all pinned down and see if my results change at all.
swimmers_mate
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

http://www.heroesandvillains.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by The Welshman on Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:47 pm

Super slack lines is the way to go, especially in the Spring, when they're right in the edge. Get yourself some really light bobbins, and you'll be laughing. I was converted when I was fishing "my other water".

The Welshman

http://www.cardiffcity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top