TARDEBIGGE ANGLERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why do carp breach the water.

5 posters

Go down

why do carp breach the water. Empty why do carp breach the water.

Post by luckylee Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:26 pm

I have started this topic somewhere else, would love to here you opinion on here lads, my personal opinion is that when the carp have finished feeding and they come up of the bottom to clean there gill rake-rs, when they have 30ft of water to come up in there is no need to lump out the water, whats Smile your thoughts on this subject lads.
And also do you think that certain strains like breaching the water more than others, ie, dinks, simo, leney, many other strains, what is your thoughts on this?
luckylee
luckylee
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

why do carp breach the water. Empty Re: why do carp breach the water.

Post by Lucky-13 Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:53 pm

I think it could be one of a few things, in particular ridding themselves of parasites but also I have this theory that it may be something to do with regulating their swim bladders. If fish are cruising higher up in the water (especially in deeper lakes) and detect a food source or decide to drop down on the hunt for food they may need to come higher up in the water or even throw themselves out in order for their swim bladders to empty. Obviously a full swim bladder is not going to allow them to get right to the bottom so maybe coming up higher where the water pressure is less might be what they need to do for the swim bladder to 'decompress'. Bit like how (I think) a submarine works. But I dunno, its just my theory! Its something that I have wondered for a while!
Lucky-13
Lucky-13
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

http://www.blackmarketbaits.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by luckylee Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:36 pm

These are the comments that I was looking for, anybody else with some comments like these would be great, nice one mike, another good theory on the subject.
Take it easy lads.
Lee..

Last edited by luckylee on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
luckylee
luckylee
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by luckylee Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:39 pm

Wink
luckylee
luckylee
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky-13 Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:07 am

Its something i have wondered for some time but Im not sure there is a definate explanation for it. One thing I am certain of though, is that a rolling fish is a feeding fish! Very Happy
Lucky-13
Lucky-13
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaseyb Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:12 am

No your both wrong !!! There just taking the piss hahahahaha look at me im eating AROUND your hook bait Razz
Jaseyb
Jaseyb
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky-13 Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:16 am

Yer wha'???? tongue
Lucky-13
Lucky-13
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky-13 Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:18 am

Sorry miss read it!! Ha Ha yeah and as they go back down they use the two lobes of their tail to form a dubious "two fingered expression"!! lol!
Lucky-13
Lucky-13
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky-13 Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:41 am

Lee
Further to my swim bladder theory I have done a bit of research. It seems that all Cyprinidae species have what is known as a "physostomous" swim bladder. In layman terms it means that the swim bladder is connected to the gut via a "pneumatic duct". This means that a Carp can inflate its Swim bladder by rising to the surface and gulping air. The air is then "squeezed" from the gut, through the pneumatic duct and into the swim bladder. They do this to counteract "negative buoyancy" (or to stop them sinking to you and me!). - They can also do the reverse to empty it. A scientific experiment report that I read Involving Goldfish in a tank stated that the act of fish breaking the surface to gulp air was followed by bubbles being "exhaled" from the fishes mouth! (Have you ever seen a fish roll and then seen a trail of bubbles hit the suface a few seconds later?) If that is not a description of what we know as porpoising then I dont know what is. It also said that this behaviour was repeated a number of times until the fish had become settled and appeared to be comfortable. (How many times have we seen the same fish roll over and over again?) I think when we see fish coming clean out and boshing/tailwalking etc that there may be other explanations. As you say, cleaning gill rakers or ridding themselves of leeches etc but it seems when they roll or just pop their heads out that they are just gulping air. You learn something new everyday hey!
There is a fair bit of info available on it. I only just scratched the surface and got a basic idea.

Hope this helps Son!

Shocked

Last edited by Lucky-13 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:47 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add on)
Lucky-13
Lucky-13
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by luckylee Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Lucky-13 wrote:Lee
Further to my swim bladder theory I have done a bit of research. It seems that all Cyprinidae species have what is known as a "physostomous" swim bladder. In layman terms it means that the swim bladder is connected to the gut via a "pneumatic duct". This means that a Carp can inflate its Swim bladder by rising to the surface and gulping air. The air is then "squeezed" from the gut, through the pneumatic duct and into the swim bladder. They do this to counteract "negative buoyancy" (or to stop them sinking to you and me!). - They can also do the reverse to empty it. A scientific experiment report that I read Involving Goldfish in a tank stated that the act of fish breaking the surface to gulp air was followed by bubbles being "exhaled" from the fishes mouth! (Have you ever seen a fish roll and then seen a trail of bubbles hit the suface a few seconds later?) If that is not a description of what we know as porpoising then I dont know what is. It also said that this behaviour was repeated a number of times until the fish had become settled and appeared to be comfortable. (How many times have we seen the same fish roll over and over again?) I think when we see fish coming clean out and boshing/tailwalking etc that there may be other explanations. As you say, cleaning gill rakers or ridding themselves of leeches etc but it seems when they roll or just pop their heads out that they are just gulping air. You learn something new everyday hey!
There is a fair bit of info available on it. I only just scratched the surface and got a basic idea.

Hope this helps Son!

Shocked
Thanks very much, i'm getting some some of the questions i have had for years, answered, thank you very much mike for taking the time and effort to do a bit of research on this subject, it is greatly appreciated mate, there was another one like this, that done my head in till i found out, and that is why would a moth, keep on bashing his head, time, and time again, into a red hot light bulb, i thought you thick dosy bastard, until i found out they do it because they navigate by the moon. Wink
take care mike
lee.
luckylee
luckylee
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by carpsy04 Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Lee Lee Lee lol!
carpsy04
carpsy04
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by luckylee Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:32 pm

get some bloody work done, have you got nothing better to do than chat on here all day simon. lol lol lol, you a fine one to talk springs to mind. Very Happy
luckylee
luckylee
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by carpsy04 Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:51 pm

mate im hard at work cant wait to get there tho now only a couple of dayz to go oh yeh
well if you count talking to muppets all day as work lol!
carpsy04
carpsy04
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

why do carp breach the water. Empty My theory

Post by Scifi Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:36 am

I have a theory that they're collecting oxygen to blow bubbles to attract a mate

Scifi

Back to top Go down

Post by The Welshman Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:58 pm

Scifi wrote:I have a theory that they're collecting oxygen to blow bubbles to attract a mate

Strangely enough, I do that, too, via a chicken madras, bombay potatoes etc. I then go to the pub next door, and fart all over the birds in there. It hasn't worked yet.

I'm now perfecting the "Indian oxygen burp". However, early indications/test groups suggest that this method of attracting females may not be as successful as first envisaged. Shocked
The Welshman
The Welshman

http://www.cardiffcity.com

Back to top Go down

Post by carpsy04 Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:05 pm

The Welshman wrote:
Scifi wrote:I have a theory that they're collecting oxygen to blow bubbles to attract a mate

Strangely enough, I do that, too, via a chicken madras, bombay potatoes etc. I then go to the pub next door, and fart all over the birds in there. It hasn't worked yet.

I'm now perfecting the "Indian oxygen burp". However, early indications/test groups suggest that this method of attracting females may not be as successful as first envisaged. Shocked

lol! lol! lol! lol! stop it you mad welsh man your making my sides hurt
carpsy04
carpsy04
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down