TARDEBIGGE ANGLERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Russ see what you think??

3 posters

Go down

Russ see what you think?? Empty Russ see what you think??

Post by stokiepaul Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:17 am

Russ came across this article, see what you think mate, I really want to fish in this 'simple' 'old school' way this season but from our discussions you seemed to think its a no go, because of fish safety (lifting scales) whilst playing the fish.Even using the 15lb .32mm line is this atill the case?? cheers..... Hope this link works!!!

http://xtra.carptalk-online.co.uk/redd89/page3.html

Stokie.
stokiepaul
stokiepaul
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Russ see what you think?? Empty Re: Russ see what you think??

Post by stokiepaul Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:21 am

Also a reply from the man Keith Moors himself on the use of leaderless run rigs...

Hi Paul
You certainly haven't bored me at all mate. I have never, in 12 years of using them, seen any damage caused by my main line, to the fish that I have caught. Originally tubing was a system to reduce tangles with braided hook links and lead core was a "progression" which came from a few anglers (myself included at the time) who were convinced that the weight of the lead core was an advantage. Over the years I am now convinced that lead core only serves to make the last couple of metres even more visible to the carp because of its thickness. I have also found several carp (one I had to kill) tethered to branches or weed beds by lead core so I no longer use it for any of my rigs. I would just add that if you are looking for the most sensitive and effective rig go back to the light (1 to2 ounce) running rigs with your main line straight through. They are the safest and best because if a break occurs during the fight or while casting it is likely to occur at the hook link swivel and that only leaves the carp with the hook link to get rid of.
Light running rigs and slack lines have now captured 33 forties and a fifty for me so use that as your confidence to give it a go mate and be lucky.
Hope that helps and keep in touch.
Keith
stokiepaul
stokiepaul
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbo Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:45 pm

Its a gud point made about the leadcore leaders. They are a convienence to use but can definately lead to tethered fish, especially in the longer lengths. I have proved this at Tardy itself when a 20lb common wrapped my leadcore leader around the margin depth marker on the canal bank, coupled with 25lb hooklength it would have been doomed, but fortunatly i managed to float out to it on my carpcot/unhooking mat to free it!!!! I call for a ban, anyone agree?........... Pity, got loads of leaders spliced but fish welfare comes 1st.
jimbo
jimbo
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by RUSS Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:29 pm

OK jimbo, my reply to this post is purly my own opinion and as you know it is not made without some considerable contemplation...As you know i use lead core myself for most [not all] of my angling. The reasons for this are many, and as such i am now starting a new thread on the subject. Asking ALL the members what their opinions are regarding the subject of rig safty.. my own reasons for using lead core are based totally around my actual observations in actual angling situations on a variety of waters over the last 15 years.... see new thread for more on this.[ will post new thread in next day or so fellas got netting party in 7 hours or so!!!]
RUSS
RUSS

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbo Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Cheers Russ, we'll see how this pans out mate. Its all driving Tardy in the right direction, and the new thread will be a positive and an education for all the members, and all our scaley friends.
jimbo
jimbo
CARP ANGLER
CARP ANGLER

Back to top Go down

Post by RUSS Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:44 pm

THE RIG DEBATE...SEE NEW THREAD
RUSS
RUSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down